I know we already had a preview for the Pet Battle System in the past, but that was mostly for the interface, and the short video that we had back then, it showed you a very early version of the fights.
Now, with the latest patch for Beta realms, the pet battles are almost fully implemented and, after some tests that we made, we came up with a pretty long list of thoughts and a few screenshots and a short video.
Do not miss the official preview page either.[h]Gaining experience[/h]
- to get experience, in order to level up, the pet should participate into fight
- the pet should not die
- the pet has to fight against appropriate level enemies or higher
- higher level enemies give experience bonusses
- if you flee a battle your opponent pets gain some experience also
If you want to boost a low level pet with some higher level pet(s) you can do so, but you have to allow that pet to fight and you should keep it alive.[h]Catching pets[/h]
- the pet you want to catch has to be below 35% hp for the Trap spell to become available
- the chance of capturing a pet is NOT100%
- you can catch only 1 pet per battle
- only a culturable pet can be, oh well, captured
- if you fight against another player, you can not capture pets
- each pet has four stats: health, power, speed and quality
- the first three stats are going up with the level of the pet
- the quality is affecting your other starts while you level up
- to get a better quality pet you have to capture one
- the quality seems to be pretty random and you never know what you get only after capturing the pet
- each pet team can have three pets
- you can change the pets whenever you like, between the fights
- to use all battle slots you have to get one pet to level 3 for the second slot, and to level 5 for the third slot
- if you are missing a pet you can hover over it's icon and you'll know where/how you can get it
- you'll be able to track pets on the map and fight them at will
- the specie of the pet matters, because each pet specie has it's strengths and weaknesses against other species
- each pet has an unique set of abilities
- the pet abilities become available as you level them up
- the fight is turn-based and the pet with higher speed strikes first
- there are abilities that affect all the pets in your team even if they are not the ones fighting
- example: tranquility, is healing the active pet even is that's not the pet who casted it
- example: siphon life persists on a target even if the pet casting it is not the active one
- you can fight against different NPCs also, by following some quests that will popup
- you can also fight against other players by clicking the “Find Battle” button
- when fighting against other players, you wont be able to see their name or communicate with them
- pet abilities can miss
- There are also pets that you can not be used for fights. You'll see them with no level tag and the UI will also tell you that they are not available for combat.
- As far as I could see there are only poor, common, uncommon and rare quality pets. Any of you noticed any other quality pets?
- You can sell your pets whenever you like. You just have to put them in a box and they are ready to be sold.
- Keep in mind that you can sell leveled pets also, that mens that you can make a nice profit by leveling pets.
- After fights you can revive/heal your pets by using the Revive Battle Pets spell or by visiting a stable master if that spell is on cooldown
- you can summon any companion, it doesn't have to be in your battle team
- the pets max level seems to be level 25
- at level 1 you'll have only one ability available, and you get more at level: 2, 4, 10, 15 and 20
- you can name your pets
- you can favorite the pests on the list, so you can find them easier
Do not miss the secreenshots and the video below. Also, if we missed anything, let us know.
First off, this is certainly a beta. Nothing you play is by any means final, try to keep that in mind. Overall though, the feature is mostly implemented and we need your feedback to help us polish it up! A few of the things you can try out in the beta:
- Fight pets around the world in solo, 2v2 and 3v3 battles
- Capture pets in the world of varying quality and strength
- Duel and queue for PvP battles against other players
- Interact on an epic questline to defeat Master Pet Tamers across all of Azeroth
- Buy and sell pets on the AH (not all pets are tradable)
- Earn a wide assortment of Pet Battle achievements and associated rewards
- Browse the new Pet Journal and manage your pets
- Use your pets across any character on your Battle.net account (Battle Pet achievements are account-wide)
- Pets are currently healing to full health after a battle. This is a known bug and we are hoping to hotfix it tonight.
- Pre-existing pets have no stats. Any pets that you acquire new are fine. This is also a bug that we hope to hotfix tonight.
- In certain cases, starting a pet battle with a creature in the world will report an error about the pet being currently in battle, or that the account is locked. Both of these are hopefully on the hotfix list for tonight.
- Some pets will be missing abilites, ability FX or animations.
- The questline is very much WIP. You can get started on it, but we are certainly still implementing it.
- We are tuning the XP curve so any feedback on this is appreciated.
- Spawn rates on pets in the world are WIP. Feedback on this is appreciated as well.
- We have an issue where players are sometimes losing a battle slot. A relog should fix the problem. We are working on it.
- I will update this post as we get more info.
Now, we also have a number of bugs and things that are just not finished. You are going to want to post about these things and thatâ€™s fine, but here are the ones that we want you to know about beforehand:
And finally, an FAQ about how most of the basics in the system work.
Battle Pet Trainers
- These NPCs teach players Battle Pet Training, granting the ability to fight and capture pets. The training comes with a pet heal/rez spell and the ability to track pets in the world. These trainers can be found in all the racial start zones as well as Orgrimmar and Stormwind. The guards in the capitals can direct you to them as well. Note that this training is account-wide, so you only need to learn it on one character.
- Pet Battle Training requires level 5 and 100g.
Master Pet Tamers
- These are NPCs for the battle pet questline. You can fight these characters in a pet battle for increased XP, achievements and rewards. Defeating the Grand Master on each continent will unlock daily quests (via an achievement) for all of the other Tamers on that same continent.
- Pets are now account-wide. This means that any pet you have on one character will be shared with all of the others on your Battle.net account. Earn level 6 with Grunty on character A? Log in character B and that level 6 Grunty will be there waiting for you.
- If you have multiple versions of the same pet on multiple characters on your account, they will be merged into one. We will place any extras in your bags or mail them to you if you are out of space.
- Players can have up to 500 total pets and up to 3 versions of the same pet.
- Pets can be named, released, marked as favorite or put in a cage for trading/selling from the journal.
- Filters allow you to sort your collection by family, source, collected/not collected or favorites.
- Source info shows you where to obtain a pet and small lore blurb about it.
- Abilites loadouts for your pets are set in the journal. This becomes available on pets at level 10.
- View stats on your pets. Stats include Health, Speed, Power and Quality.
- Pets that are captured in the world have varying levels of quality, just like an item would. The quality stat is randomly determined every time a pet spawns. Higher quality pets get a larger stat allotment each time you level. Be on the lookout for Rares!
Pets on the AH
- Most pets can be bought and sold from the AH. A new section is on the AH specifically for this.
- Pets that are sold on the AH retain their stats and levels. Pets that can't be traded will display a warning in their info text as well as having the â€œPut in Cageâ€ option disabled.
- PvE battles take place in two ways: against NPC trainers and against pets that you can fight in the world. Pet tracking will let you find pets in the world that you can fight and capture. Keep an eye out!
- PvP battles also have two varieties. You can choose to duel another player or you can queue up and be matched against another player of similar skill. Note that you do not earn XP for duels.
- Pets heal a portion of their health after every fight. The amount healed is 50% of the damage that they took during the fight. You can also full heal all of the pets in your journal with the Revive Battle Pets spell (10m cooldown)
- If one of your pets die in battle you can resurrect it using the Revive Battle Pets spell (10m cooldown) or just find a friendly, neighborhood Stable Master
- Pets are caught via PvE battles in the world. Any pet you can fight, you can catch. In order to catch a pet, you need to get it to low health and use your trap ability. Traps upgrade via specific achievements, improving your chance to catch higher level pets.
- You can catch up to three of the same type of pet.
Thanks for trying out the feature and make sure to post your feedback here in the forum!